Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Current Ranking: #20 out of 33
Date Watched: 07/18/10
Original Ranking: #18 out of 31

Amy says:

The Sorcerer’s Apprentice is a fantasy movie that has a little bit of everything: action, romance, comedy, and even some surprises. There was good chemistry between the actors. I normally don’t care for Nicolas Cage, but his role as the sorcerer is suited to his aloof acting style. The apprentice, played by Jay Baruchel, pulls off the lovable geek role perfectly and works well opposite Cage.

The story was good, the acting was good, even the special effects were good. But everything was just good and not amazing. It could have been better.

Nic says:

Baruchel’s character, David, just seems to get too lucky in this movie. Maybe it’s because he’s the “Prime Merlinian” and that’s how it’s supposed to work, but I am more likely to attribute it to a failure in character development. David spends rarely any time practicing magic with Merlin’s ring, but when the time comes to perform without the ring: he’s ready.

The best part of the whole movie, I think, is the throwback scene to Fantasia. I loved it when David tried to clean his living quarters by bewitching the brooms, mops, and other cleaning supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment